Tuesday, September 01, 2009

To celebrate the Bulan Puasa or the Ramadhan Month (well I don't actually celebrate it because I'm not muslim but any occasions that has good food is my celebration. Muhibah kan?), I've decided to make Onde-Onde or Buah Melaka which is one of my favourite delicacies sold at the Pasar Ramadhan (Ramadhan Market).

Onde-Onde is a soft, chewy green glutinous rice balls coated with coconut shavings and when you pop it in your mouth, a generous amount of melted palm sugar come oozing out of it. Nyum! It's delicious and MoofMoof gobble down most of it.


Don't you just love looking at the green fuzzy balls? Trust me, you'll love it more in your mouth.

So if you're looking for something different to serve during tea time, this may just be what you're looking for:

Ingredients:

  • 250 g Glutinous Rice Flour
  • 200 ml Pandan Juice (screwpine leaves) [substitute: 1 teaspoon of essence of coconut mixed with 1 or 2 drops of green food coloring + 200 ml water]
  • 150 g Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar), finely chopped [substitute: gula jawa]
  • 100 g Grated Coconut [substitute: unsweetened desiccated coconut or dried coconut flakes]
  • A Pinch Of Sea Salt
Method:
  • In a large bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour with Pandan juice and knead lightly to form a smooth dough. Cover the dough and set aside for about 15 minutes.
  • Mix the grated coconut with a pinch of salt and steam for about 2 - 3 minutes and let it cool completely.
  • Pinch a small piece of dough (about 15 g each) and flatten lightly. Fill the center of the dough with palm sugar. Roll them in your palm to form a smooth ball.
  • Cook the glutinous rice balls in the boiling water. When the rice balls float to the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon and shake off the excess water.
  • Coat the rice balls with grated coconut and serve immediately.
Easy eh? Have fun trying it out!

2 cents:

  1. The Real Mother Hen said...
    OMG you are such a great cook! I love onde-onde. Btw, can you get pandan juice in Seattle? I can't even get it in Portland!!! :()
    Samantha said...
    The Real Mother Hen: no I can't find it here either. I'll have to look harder but for now I'm using the coconut essence & green colouring. I'm definitely not a good cook but I'm willing to try to ease the food craving :p...The recipe is so easy, you should try it out.

Post a Comment



 
ss_blog_claim=2976ce8546963f56777ec6038c9c2882